Users Online: 987 
Webportal.com.my - Malaysian Forum Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to deal with dementia patient (my mom)?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
gorgor81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gorgor81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 2:54am
Taking care of demented old people requires extra care. They may have lost some of their motor skills and tend to wander around, making it dangerous for them to be alone even for a short time. You need constant supervision and care for them. If you cant do it yourself, find trained people to watch over them when you are away
vicobing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vicobing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 9:40am
Originally posted by evans evans wrote:

Its really saddening to read about dementia stories. Its happens to the best of people, and theres no cure to it. Kudos to you for not sending your mother to nursery homes knowing how terrible some places can be. I understand you are busy and exhausted with work but keep spending time with her, it will mean a lot

The thought of sending parents at old folk homes home is just a nightmare.. not to mention how demeaning it is to your parents, after all their hard work
evans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 10:25am
Although the situation today its kinda understandable how some people will send their parents away. I'm not commending the act, but at least someone can look after the parents when they are working. However looking at the state of nursery homes nowadays is pathetic, its better to hire sitters instead of sending them to homes
chrissymartin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissymartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 12:56pm
Ikr, it seems ungrateful especially when they are starting not to remember things. As a child this is the time to show love and care to your parents. They have done so much for us, how unthankful can you be if to send them away after you have succeeded. Surely there are better alternative than sending them to nursery homes right?
sasa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sasa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 8:55pm
Its nice to see many would not support sending their parents to old folks home. But as someone that have a family member there I think these days the centre is not bad at all. And btw, many refers it as retirement resort now. They have quite everything a retiree would need. 
tung22 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tung22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 9:41pm

Although the situation today its kinda understandable how some people will send their parents away. I'm not commending the act, but at least someone can look after the parents when they are working. However looking at the state of nursery homes nowadays is pathetic, its better to hire sitters instead of sending them to homes

Most of the nursery homes out there are operating with limited fundings that are usually being donated by the public or any private companies, their workers are also mostly volunteers that earn next to nothing by taking care of the old folks, sad to see those who are living in such poor conditions over there.
meena84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meena84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by sasa sasa wrote:

Its nice to see many would not support sending their parents to old folks home. But as someone that have a family member there I think these days the centre is not bad at all. And btw, many refers it as retirement resort now. They have quite everything a retiree would need. 

I know a place very near to our neighbourhood area that have this type of service. Will definitely agree with this because doctors and nurses are just floors away and well equipped facility.
tung22 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tung22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by chrissymartin chrissymartin wrote:

Ikr, it seems ungrateful especially when they are starting not to remember things. As a child this is the time to show love and care to your parents. They have done so much for us, how unthankful can you be if to send them away after you have succeeded. Surely there are better alternative than sending them to nursery homes right?

Although they might have problem remembering things but they never forget that you are their child right? Sometimes they might just pretend not to show any feelings but deep down in heart they would feel very hurt, so I am still against the idea of sending your parents to old folks home.
meena84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meena84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by meena84 meena84 wrote:

I have heard of such services been promoted online. But do caregiverasia provide similar service in Malaysia like they do in Singapore?  

Still waiting for this feedback.. anyone know? cos if I'm not mistaken the same company have affiliates with several institutions but not in Malaysia
yoyo44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yoyo44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 9:55pm

I myself recently just hired a caretaker from Caregiverasia to look after my mum at home who is having some trouble walking on her own, the caretaker is very friendly and seems like she had much experience in taking care of old people, so I can just go to work everyday without worrying too much about my mum.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic